Latinas Public Service Academy. Free Public Policy program for 11th & 12th grade Latinas
This is the Latinas Public Service Academy and it is for 11th and 12th grade Latinas who are interested in learning more about Policy and how it works in the real world. This is a free program, though there are certain outreach areas such as South LA, Boyle Heights/East LA, Pico-Union/Westlake, Northeast San Fernando Valley, LAUSD regular public schools and charter schools. Please see below for more information.
The location of the Academy is:
Mercado La Paloma Community Room
3655 South Grand Ave., LA, CA 90007
2017 Latinas Program Application
Click here to open application. Please do NOT post it on social media. They have target areas (per below) and the best strategy is to recruit directly from those areas versus casting a wide net on social media where we get applications from all over the country.
- Enrolled in 11th or 12th grade this year
- Preference is given to students who are low-income and reside in the communities of: South LA, Boyle Heights/East LA, Pico-Union/Westlake, Northeast San Fernando Valley, LAUSD regular public schools and charter schools.
- At least one parent is of Latino/Hispanic heritage
- At least a 2.0 GPA. (Exceptions can be made for promising candidates)
- Submit a complete application via email, per the instructions, by March 24, 2017 at 11:59 pm PST
Please consider the following mandatory program dates when applying
- Saturday, April 8, 9-6 p.m. Workshop
- Tuesday, April 18, 9-4 p.m. Field Trip (permission form will be provided)
- Saturday, April 22, 9-6 p.m. Workshop
Participants can expect a comprehensive experience that will include the following
- Government and public policy training
- Fundraising experience
- Career and skill training sessions
- Special visits to different municipal government chambers to see public officials in action
- Lifelong friends!
- Written Application sent via email per the instructions
- Unofficial Transcript
- 1 photo of yourself (email or attach)
SECOND THURSDAY, EVERY OTHER MONTH. Click for details.
- Harbor Park & Banning Pool Summer Hours
- Summer Movie Nights
- Fitness Classes & More at Ken Malloy Park
- Summer Reading Challenge 2017
- SCAQMD Certifies Final EIR for Tesoro Refinery Integration Project
- M.Y. C.L.U.B. After School Program
- Mental Health Promoters Class
- Opportunities for Environmental Consultants
LA Dept. of City Planning will be releasing two Requests for Qualifications (RFQ) to prepare a list of on-call consultants. Read more.
Grandparents as Parents and other Relative Caregivers. Support Group in Wilmington Starting Soon! Thursday’s 9:00am-11:00am. Click for details.
Provide input on Metro’s budget! Click here for details.
- Concerned about emergencies and disasters? The City of Los Angeles wants to hear from you!
- Wilmington Waterfront Product Update Presentation
- Dept. of City Planning 2016 Annual Report
- Latinas Public Service Academy. Free Public Policy program for 11th & 12th grade Latinas
- A Los Angeles Story: Youth of Color Versus Big Oil
- Cabrillo Marine Aquarium – 2017 Summer Docent Program
- FREE INCOME TAX PREPARATION SERVICES NOW AVAILABLE in WILMINGTON! PREPARACION DE IMPUESTOS ¡GRATIS! Disponible Ahora en WILMINGTON!
- Long Beach Alliance for Children with Asthma
DOWNLOAD REFERRAL FORM HERE
VISIT www.lbaca.org FOR MORE INFO
Save Water, Energy, Money and the Environment
- Safe Sidewalk LA – Rebate Program Information
- Co-Ed and Girls Winter Basketball Leagues starts in January 2017
- CalFresh can help you buy the nutritious food you need for good health.
- Free Asthma Home visitation program Currently enrolling San Pedro and Wilmington families with children with asthma
- Community Development Center – Open Enrollment.
- Job Opportunities
Big Belly Bins On Avalon. Read more.
- Port of Los Angeles Moves Forward with Plans for $52.7 Million Wilmington Waterfront Promenade
Wilmington Community Garden